Using The Blog

There are three ways to access the info on this blog.
1. You can scroll down the whole length of the blog.
2. You can open each blog from the archive list on the right. Click on any of the months and the various entries are shown.
3. Scroll down to the Trek list and click on the trek you are interested in. You will be directed to the relevant page.

Unfortunately, there arent that many on there yet! As it is a "work in progress" there will be more to come soon.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Ingleton Waterfalls and Helvellyn - 1996 - Part 2

After a good night's sleep (sort of - it was cold), I personally woke early and went for a walk down to the village and the lake, calling for some milk on the way back. I think I can remember some of us (Brian, John F) making breakfast at the camp.

Eventually we packed out tents etc. and set off for the journey to Glenridding where we were to set off up Helvellyn. Most of us had Breakfast in the Travellers Rest pub there, which consisted of a full English, including black pudding. Several of us didn't like said pudding, but John L was only happy to oblige and ended up having something like 6 pieces! I think he paid for it later though.

The plan was to get to Helvellyn via Red Tarn, 'the hole in the wall' and Striding Edge. All went well, and although it was steep and tiring, the "craic" more than made up for it.




Eventually we sat for lunch at the hole in the wall, and John F decided he was taking the route back down, and waiting for us at the bottom.



On and over Striding Edge we went, which was fantastic. I had done it before, many years ago (1973) on a Geology field course at school. I was not phased at all by the height or the narrowness of the track, in fact, they were referring to me as a mountain goat. I do know though, that some were not too keen.



Leaving Striding Edge, we began the final scramble up the rocky slope to the summit of Helvellyn itself. What an achievement. We posed for photos of course.



Instead of returning the way we came up, the plan was for it to be a circular walk, over towards Grisedale and down the valley into Patterdale, then back to Glenridding.

To be honest, I cant remember a lot about that descent, but we all made it safe and sound. Meeting up with John F back in the car park, we changed, and set off for home.


What a success that weekend was, and it spurred us on to continue for the next 15 years, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment