I had heard about Rannerdale from the web, and I decided that i wanted to see the show of bluebells in Spring. Because of this, I started organising this trek fairly early, January I think, to ensure we sorted a date and managed to secure accommodation in Buttermere.
According to local historians, a Norman army was ambushed and defeated by the native Britons and Norsemen at the Battle of Rannerdale. The battle is thought to have taken place in the side valley of Rannerdale, which runs east of the summit of the fell, west of Whiteless Pike and south of Grasmoor. Bluebells cover the valley in April and May. According to ancient folklore, the bluebells are said to have sprung from the spilt blood of the Norman warriors.
I booked us into a guesthouse called Dalegarth, just outside the main part of the village in Hassness.
We all met in one of the main pubs in the village called The Bridge Hotel, where we ate lunch. After that, we set off over the tops towards Rannerdale Knotts, down towards Hause Point and Crummock Water, then back up near Whiteless Pike and back to the village.
After the walk, we freshened up back at the guesthouse and the walked back into the village via the lakeside path. I remember the path was quite stoney, and was crossed by tree roots. "How are we going to negotiate this in the dark?" I thought.
We had a meal in the Fish Inn, and a few drinks, of course, and finally set off back to guesthouse via the main road. Unfortunately, part way back, the road was blocked by a large deep puddle between embankments on both sides. It was quite an obstacle, and we all tried different ways of getting around it. Some tried to climb the muddy banks, some tried to walk at the very edge of the puddle where it was shallower. However, I just pulled my trouser legs up and walked straight through the middle. No problem.
I remember there was quite a bit of mumping about that.
Next morning, after breakfast, we took the lakeside path again, back to the village. We headed from the village to the west towards Scale Force. The weather wasnt too good, as there was heavy drizzle and quite low cloud. As a result, by the time we reached Scale Force, some of us didn't feel up to the climb to Red Pike and High Stile. However, some of us did, and so the group split into two at this point.
Some of us headed back towards the south western shore of Buttermere via Sour Milk Ghyll and then circumnavigated the Lake on the lakeside path, close to the bottom of Fleetwith Pike, all the way back to the village.
The rest made it up to the higher ground and were in amongst the clouds on Red Pike and High Stile.
Eventually, we all met up again in the village pub for a final drink before we set off home.
Just remembered something else: Whilst we were walking around the lake at Buttermere, Ashley somehow managed to start losing his sole. All way round, the sole on his boot was 'flap, flap,flap.' We even tried tieing it on for him. Eventually, I think the other one joined in too. Back in Sheffield, they were laid to rest in the bin!
ReplyDelete